Tuesday, August 01, 2006

random pictures and a story or two

So I guess this is going to be more of a relaxed post

I was basically wrapping up my evening a few nights ago and I noticed something on the ground that was slithering away from me. I casually pointed this out to the others that were around and proceed to take a closer look. Not being the snake expert, and being really dumb, I think that I'd be fine touching it and such but then I remember...Black Mambas reside in East Africa so I pull up trusty ol' google images for the Black Mamba and sure enough we had a Black Mamba on our hands. Me still being a fool continue to play with it with Adam and others by our sides...we catch and then kill it with a knife. Can't have those things around the house, but what bothered me was, although this snake wasn't terribly large (somewhere in the range of 10-15 inches) it meant that a mother had to be around somewhere near and though it hasn't been located yet, I watch were I step outside our house. So this story could still have a fun and exciting ending (as if catching and killing a black mamba with a knife isn't enough) dealing with the mother snake. Aside from the Mamba, the total snake count that have been located on the property and "take care of" would be 2 other cobras (much bigger).

As one could imagine, soccer is huge here...I mean HUGE. Good way to stay in shape and play with the locals. Me thinking back to my AYSO days I begin to feel pretty confident in my ability, plus the kids I was playing with didn't have shoes (not that that would matter as I find out later, but for some reason I thought my shoes would make me run faster than those that lack 'em, sorely mistaken). So we start the game and I start jogging towards on the kids that controls the ball--second by second action goes like this, boy with ball, we'll call him B1 for simplicity sake and time intervals (seconds) will be S1 (1 second), S2 (2 seconds), etc....so here we go
S1: B1 is in front of me 30 feet
S2: B1 is in front of me 20 feet
S3: B1 is in front of me 10 feet
S4: B1 is in front of me 5 feet
S5: B1 is past me (with ball) 40 feet <--something happened here...i just remember a black flash kicking a ball blow by me. These kids were amazing and it was by no stretch of the imagination that we promptly got whooped. anyway, here are a few pictures of random things, one including Adam and I pre-whooping, and of course I had to get the Black Mamba on film! Cheers, Scott